Glycerine, one of the most essential and valuable substances, is present in various products that you use in your daily life. Glycerine is a common ingredient in skin care products due to the amazing moisturizing properties it possesses glycerine for skincare is used in both household brands as well as natural products. Glycerine is a versatile ingredient that can be used for beauty and skincare. However, not all glycerine products have the same benefits. Here you will get an overall idea about glycerine and its benefits.
Glycerine is also known as glycerol. It is a colourless and odourless syrupy liquid that has a sweet taste. Glycerine is trihydroxy-sugar alcohol in terms of its chemical composition. Glycerol is derived from the Greek term “glykys,” meaning “sweet”. Glycerine is either synthetic or natural. Hydrolysis of vegetable or animal fats results in natural glycerine. Hydrolysis occurs when a substance reacts with water, and as a result, the chemical bond is broken down. Chemical processes that involve petroleum, propylene, and chlorine are used to produce synthetic glycerine. Glycerine was discovered in 1778 by a Chemist named Carl Wilhelm Scheele. Glycerine was known to exist long before the 18th century. Glycerine, today, is used in a variety of products, from cosmetics to food.
Uses of Glycerine in skincare:
Glycerine can be found in various types of soaps and skincare items. It is a humectant and a well-loved ingredient in soaps and lotions. A humectant helps in drawing water from the deeper layering of skin and bringing it to the surface. Humidity can make humectants draw moisture from the atmosphere as well. Glycerine is a natural moisturizer that helps shed dead skin cells and can give your skin a youthful glow. People with sensitive skin often prefer glycerine as a soap ingredient as it is gentle on the skin and at the same time moisturizes it. Unlike harsh soaps, glycerine-based soaps will not make your skin dry and itchy, and they will not drain your skin of natural oils. Due to its superb properties, it is often found in products such as.
- Toner: Glycerine-based toners are great for hydrating the skin and preventing it from feeling greasy or sticky. Glycerine-based toners are great for people with oily skin. They can hydrate their skin with a light yet refreshing mist.
- Face masks: Glycerine is used in some face masks to moisturize and brighten the skin. These face masks can be used to acquire fast hydration as well as age-defying results.
- Moisturizers: Glycerine is known for its remarkable moisturizing properties. It is a humectant found in different types of moisturizing products, such as hand, foot, and face lotions. Also, it attracts moisture to the top layer of the skin and fills in any wrinkles, giving it a soft and smooth feel.
- Cleaners: Glycerine doesn’t add extra oil to your skin or clog pores, which makes it an ideal cleanser for people whose skin is prone to acne. Anyone with any skin type can use glycerine facial cleansers to remove grease and dirt without making their skin dry.
- Sunscreens: Sunscreen protects the skin from the sun’s UV rays, which can have a harmful effect. Some sunscreens contain glycerine to act as a moisturizer and make it easier for sunscreen to spread over your skin.
- Soaps: Glycerine can be found in various types of soaps, body washes, and other products. It is a gentle ingredient that won’t dry the skin and is commonly used in baby skin items as it is gentle.
Benefits of glycerine for your skin:
Glycerine can be used in skin care for many reasons, regardless of your skin type. Moreover, pure and natural glycerine products for skincare have no adverse effect on the environment. You should feel confident and proud that you are using vegetable glycerine and not causing harm to animals if you go for this option. Let’s take a look at the various benefits of natural glycerine in your skincare regime.
- It helps in reducing acne:
Some ingredients found in moisturizers and cleansers for acne-prone skin can be too harsh. Some people may experience more severe acne by using strong skincare products, which can irritate your skin and cause inflammation. However, including glycerine in your skincare can make your skin look beautiful and smooth without having to suffer from the side effects of using harsh skin care products. Glycerine is also non-comedogenic and oil-free, so it won’t clog pores. Glycerine for oily skin is a good option as clogged pores can lead to acne.
- It perfectly moisturizes the skin:
Glycerine in skincare acts like a sponge because its primary function is to draw the moisture from the lower layers to the skin’s surface. On top of that, it slows down the evaporation of water from the skin’s surface. This results in your skin being hydrated and moist for a more extended period. Many studies prove that glycerine is very effective in hydrating your skin. It is also found that the creams and lotions that contain silicone oil and glycerine as ingredients provide more moisture to the skin and last longer.
- It protects the skin:
Winter brings a drop in humidity, which causes the skin’s moisture to evaporate quicker than usual. Winter air can dry out the skin, making it flaky, cracked, and dry. Skin that is damaged becomes more vulnerable to infection and wounds. Glycerine-based moisturizing lotions lock moisture in the skin. They are instrumental in protecting feet, elbows, hands, and other areas that can become quickly dry and flaky. Applying glycerine right after showering can provide extra protection to your skin. Since, after showering, your body’s natural oils are washed away, glycerine can help in retaining moisture. Glycerine soap is a better choice than other soaps with harsh detergents as this will keep your skin moisturized, soft, and protected. Glycerine can be incorporated into your daily routine to reap the benefits of its moisturizing properties all year.
- Keeps your skin youthful:
Glycerine is a natural moisturizer that traps moisture and gives your skin a healthy, youthful glow. It reduces wrinkles by drawing moisture to the skin’s top layer. It also keeps your skin smooth and soft. It can also help slow down the ageing process by improving skin function and hence improves skin’s appearance and feel.
- It is gentle on the skin:
For those with acne-prone skin, gentle cleansers are essential. Exfoliators are recommended for people with acne-prone skin to get rid of dead skin cells. Although exfoliators can be very effective in removing dead skin cells and leaving skin soft and smooth, they are most likely to cause irritation and red skin in the area of breakout. Glycerine is a gentle exfoliant that cleans, moisturizes, and protects skin from irritation. Acne sufferers want to get rid of oil and dirt and want their products to be gentle on the skin. Glycerine-based gentle cleansers are great for acne-prone skin as well as for people with dry skin.
So, it can be deduced from the discussion that glycerine can do wonders for your skin as there are numerous benefits of glycerine in the skin. If you are looking for skincare products with glycerine, No Scars provides a wide range of products that can be useful to you. The No Scars glycerine-based soap will make your skin soft and youthful. Incorporate such products in your skincare routine and change the way your skin feels and looks.