It is the desire of every person, be it a man or woman of all ages to have beautiful looking, glowing, and smooth skin. What your skin appears like reflects your health & hygiene. There are myriads of cosmetics & skincare products being sold in the market promising beautiful looking skin. Even some claim to do away with scars. But you need to make a wise, well-educated decision to have clear, radiant skin.
Tips to have a glowing complexion
- Use a mild cleanser: There are available different types of facial cleansers at the drugstores & online portals. But not all good or meant for particular skin types. You need to select only the best face cleanser that is packed with the right ingredients. There are antibacterial soaps and cleansing bars containing beta & alpha-hydroxy acids. Mild cleansers having fewer fragrances & ingredients will work effectively. You can choose the best scar Soap as it does work wonders and keeps your face smooth & clean. It is also affordable on the pocket.
- Wash face twice daily: In case, you have oily skin or face breakouts, then you should wash your face every morning & evening. Rather, this should be part of your daily skincare routine & should not be avoided. Studies conducted on face washing showed significant improvement noticed in acne lesions in those who had washed their face two times a day. But those who had washed just once a day experienced an increase in pimples.
- Apply moisturizer: You may wonder how to clear skin can be derived by using moisturizer. If you have extremely dry skin, then the oil is likely to be overproduced to compensate for the dryness. This in turn results in breakouts. Moisturizers, similar to cleansers can be devoid of fancy ingredients and not be expensive. It is better to search for one that is non-comedogenic, which means, your skin pores will not be clogged. For those with oily skin, it will be better to use ‘lightweight’ moisturizers to avoid greasy, heavy feeling. Few people during winter may have to switch to the heavier moisturizers, since dry, cold air may dry & tighten their skin.
- Apply acne-fighting agent: Most topical therapies available can help combat acne problems. But it is important to identify an effective one by understanding what acne type you are infected with like mild acne, comedonal acne (similar bumps & blackheads), acne with scarring & inflammatory acne. Some treatments as prescribed by doctors can help treat different acne types simultaneously. But availing such treatment together might make your skin go dry. Hence, you need to make use of a moisturizer that will hydrate your skin always.
- Lots of quality sleep: Your skin is prone to breaking more often if you lack in quality sleep. Studies have revealed that a good number of participants who complained of being tired had also experienced acne problems. In a few cases, lack of sleep may result in the release of inflammatory compounds by the body. The compounds in turn may only worsen acne or cause break out in the skin. Therefore, to stay healthy externally & internally, it is important to have quality sleep every night for about 7-9 hours minimum.
- Exfoliate: Excessive dead skin cells present in the skin can be effortlessly removed by exfoliation. In case, the stays remain on your skin for a very long period, then they are likely to clog your pores, thereby resulting in breakouts. With dead cell build-up on your face, your skin is likely to appear prematurely aged, flaky or dull looking. The following are the exfoliation methods that you can try to prevent & eliminate dead & dry skin on your body.
- Motorized facial brush
- 10% or even less glycolic acid lotion or mask
- 2% salicylic acid mask
Again, how much to exfoliate actually depends upon the exfoliation type you use. In the case of chemical exfoliants such as lotions or masks, you should perform it a couple of times. But for physical exfoliants such as brushes or scrubs, perform 3-4 times a week. Begin with lesser exfoliating sessions. Then work your way to avoid over-exfoliating. In case, you develop inflammatory acne (cysts & pustules), then you should first discuss the issue with your dermatologist before using anything. This is because few exfoliation types might only worsen inflammatory acne.
- Avoid picking your skin: Resisting picking the zit can be a tough job. However, this is essential to ensure good skin health. Popping or picking zip will only expose your pore to the surrounding bacteria while increasing risks of scarring or infection. In case, your pimple hurts a lot, then visit a dermatologist immediately. This way, you can avail specialized treatments to eliminate the pimples safely and also reduce risks of infection.
- Select makeup which will not clog your pores: Studies have also revealed that a good number of people using cosmetics tend to experience skin breakouts. You need to make sure that you practice only skin-friendly makeup routines. For this you need to:
- Always wash hands prior to applying skincare or makeup products.
- Use only ‘oil-free’ or ‘noncomedogenic’ labeled products.
- Wash sponges & makeup brushes every week.
- Remove your makeup prior to exercising or hitting the bed.
Makeup is likely to cause a type of acne, which as per doctors is referred to as acne cosmetics. This condition results in raised, small bumps appearing generally on the forehead, cheeks, or chin area.
- Have less sugar: Studies have revealed that foods having a high glycemic index could cause acne problems. Those given a low glycemic diet reported a loss in weight and also experienced developing less acne. Moreover, they required less acne medication. Hence, to avoid taking excess consumption of foods having a high glycemic index, you need to do the following:
- Cut back sweets & sugary sodas
- Limit processed carbs such as baked goods & white bread
- Limit consumption of alcohol
- Consume more whole grains, vegetables, fruits & healthy protein sources
- Avoid smoking: There is evidence relating to smoking with higher acne risks. Studies showed that those who smoked developed acne. Quitting does help to improve health & prevent acne development.
- Relax: Acne & stress do have a strong connection. You need to search for ways to de-stress, in case, you deal with some stressful situation or event. Few options include the following:
- Performing breathing exercises
- Moderate to high intensity exercising for about 30 minutes
- Meditating for a few minutes
- Performing yoga
- Listening to favorite music or playing a musical instrument and practicing sound therapy
- Writing the situation out
If your desire is to have clear, smooth looking, glowing skin, you need to know what to apply on your face like makeup, moisturizers, and cleansers, etc. At the same time, you should try to avoid unwanted bacteria lingering in your dirty sponges and brushes or fingers. Also, make use of products like scar reducing Soap that will provide you with healthy and beautiful looking skin. It is completely safe to be used and also inexpensive. Moreover, you need to focus on specific lifestyle factors such as stress management, healthy diet, and quality sleep. This is sure to make a huge difference in having healthy, acne-free skin.