Skin diseases are common. There are a number of skin diseases, all of which are caused due to different reasons. If left untreated, the problem may worsen and even lead to a disfigurement of the face. Minor skin problems can be treated with over the counter drugs and topical ointments. A very common problem usually affecting the teenage group is that of acne and pimples. Although the terms are often used interchangeably to describe the breakouts that trouble our skin, there is a considerable difference between the two. Acne is of different kinds, and they are formed differently in the different parts of the body. You must know the difference between acne and pimples so that you can understand the two in all aspects and treat them accordingly. For that, we need to know both the skin conditions in all its details.
What is acne?
Acne is a skin condition that is a result of the accumulation of excess oil and dead skin cells. When sebum and dead skin cells accumulate, they form a cluster in the follicle. The plug contains bacteria, which causes irritation and inflammation. It affects the hair follicles of the skin and oil glands. The sebaceous glands secrete an oily substance called sebum. Below the surface of the skin, the skin pores are connected to these glands; the follicle connects the glands to the pores. A thin hair grows out of the follicles. You can have acne anywhere on the body where the hair follicles are connected to the oil glands. It can be in and around the mouth, on the back, forehead, etc. acne can be of different types. There can be inflammatory acne, whiteheads, blackheads, or nodulocystic acne.
Causes of acne-
Until now, there is no specific cause of acne ascertained. However, studies have shown that there are few things that result in acne or even worsens it. Some of these factors are:
- Hormonal changes such as the onset of the menstrual cycle, menopause, puberty, pregnancy, etc.
- Touching, picking, and squeezing the already formed pimples.
- Treating the skin in a rough manner and by using harsh chemical-based beauty products. Using a scrubber vigorously on the skin.
- The heavy force applied from the straps of the backpack, hats, collars, etc.
- Hot and very humid conditions.
- Use of beauty products such as oil-based sunscreen and hair care cosmetics.
Androgens are the hormones that cause acne. These hormones bring about drastic effects on the bodies of boys and girls. They also cause a major impact on the skin. It is to be noted that some people never get acne during puberty when the hormones flood the body while some others suffer from acne bouts for a long period of time.
Symptoms of acne-
The different symptoms of acne include-
- Clogged skin pores, blackheads.
- Whiteheads closed and plugged skin pores under the surface of the skin.
- Small red soft red bumps
- Small red bumps with pus, called pimples.
- Nodules – big painful lumps under the skin’s surface.
- Cysts – lumps having pus found under the skin’s surface, which is usually very painful.
How to treat acne?
Acne is not fun, but there are ways to keep it under control or to heal it completely. For mild acne, dermatologists prescribe a topical retinoid to treat the acne. Your doctor will assess the severity of acne and understand the cause of the acne to prescribe you the medicines and ointments to treat it. Over the counter acne medicines usually consist of three active ingredients, namely different, benzoyl peroxide, and salicylic acid. Apart from a topical retinoid, topical medications that are used to treat acne include antibiotics and azelaic acid. Sometimes, dermatologists recommend therapies alongside the use of medicines. The therapies for acne are chemical peeling of the skin and IPL therapy.
Ways to prevent acne
There are few ways to help you prevent acne formation and to help treat the acne. We lost below the ways:
- Keep your face clean at all times by using a gentle facial cleanser, suitable to your skin type. You must wash your face with lukewarm water.
- You must use non-comedogenic hair care products.
- Avoid touching and picking of already existing pimples and blemishes.
- Avoid face contact with hands, hair, and phone.
- Have a balanced diet. Avoid eating junk food and processed food products, especially those with a high glycaemic load.
Home remedies to treat acne
Studies suggest that some home remedies can alleviate acne. Ingredients like fish oil, lavender oil, probiotics, tea tree oil, and zinc supplements are said to help treat pimples.
What is a pimple-
Pimple, on the other hand, is a symptom of acne. They are often characterized by soft red bumps on the skin with white pus formation at the tips. Acne is widespread on the skin, but pimples are typically one single bump of infection. If you suffer from regular skin breakouts, you are most likely suffering from acne.
Causes of a pimple-
When sebum and dead skin cells form plugs at the base of the skin, pimples are formed. The causes for pimple are more or less the same as that of acne, mentioned above.
Over the counter, topical medications like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and adapalene and ointments work effectively in treating pimples. Many creams and gels containing these constituents help in reducing and treating pimples. Before the application of these lotions and creams, you must wash your face with warm water and a topical facial cleanser and then dried. No scars soap for pimples is effective in keeping the face clean and pimple free. More recent treatment for pimples is toothpaste, as it has microbial agents that help in reducing pimples. For more severe pimples, the doctor prescribes prescription medication after assessing the condition.
Ways to prevent pimples from occurring
There are ways you can adopt to minimize pimple formation
- Use oil-free, non-comedogenic beauty products on your face. Keep your face clean at all times.
- After cleaning, moisturize your face with an oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer containing SPF in it.
- Apply sunscreen before venturing out in the heat.
- Choose oil-free make-up.
- Do not scrub your skin while washing it.
- Miss it on using a moisturizer. This will dry your face and cause the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum. Excess sebum is the main cause of acne formation.
- Touch your face too often.
- Use toothpaste to treat pimples as soon as it is formed.
- Prick your pimples.
- Use products containing alcohol.
Both acne and pimple are generally treatable even though they take time to get cleared. Not only does it lower one’s self-esteem, but it also makes you diffident and socially less interactive. Once the cause of the skin disease is known and understood, the treatment becomes easier. In addition, one should restrict the use of chemical-based cosmetic products or the overuse of beauty products as they harm the skin in the long run. A no scars soap for acne scars is best to remove all blemishes from the skin. Healthy and glowing skin is also a reflection of your diet. A healthy diet with lots of green vegetables, fruits, and lots of water will help you detoxify your body. Once the blood is free from impurities, the skin looks radiant and clear.